From when I was very young I had a fascination with young girls who had visions of Holy Mary. I am not a religious person at all, but I am very spiritual. In 'my' room at my grandparents' house there was a picture hanging over the bed of a little girl walking by a stream. An angel was following her, and my grandmother always told me a story of a girl being saved by her guardian angel. To this day I am a firm believer in guardian angels.
One of the girls who had visions of angels was Jeanne D'Arc, Joan of Arc, and although I cannot say that her 'burning at the stake' is my favorite moment in history, the fact that she led an army, refused to bow down when she was accused of witch craft and stuck to her beliefs to the end, is.
Jeanne grew up as a peasant girl and the first time she had visions was when she was thirteen years old. It was a tumultuous time in France. The English and the French were vying for the throne. In her visions the angels told her to help the rightful King of France (a Frenchman) gain the throne. She went to the court and asked for an audience with the Charles, which was denied. She returned the next year and told Charles of a military maneuver that had just passed, which Charles only heard about a few days after Joan's visit. This is why Charles listened to Joan: he was convinced that she knew about this because of Divine intervention. Joan became a trusted person to Charles, and she fought for her country. God was on her side! This is what fascinates me about Joan. She was a peasant girl, who would rather stay home and spin wool at her mother's side, yet she takes up arms and fight because she believed that the angels told her to do so. She had no military background, yet soldiers followed her in battle. She was an inspiration and a source of strength to many.
In the end, the English captured her and they put her on a mock trial. She remained true to her beliefs, even if it meant that she would be burnt at the stake. Would I be able to be that brave? To follow my beliefs so far that I would be able to lead armies into battles? I do not think many people would have that courage. Or have the courage to die for their beliefs. She did.
No comments:
Post a Comment