Writing. I
dread it and I love it. “How can that be?”, you ask. Easy: I love it when I can
express something in exactly the way I want to, and I dread it because this
does not happen too often. Combine that with the fact that English is my third
language, and you can see why I am so conflicted about writing.
My children,
who are 20 and 22, are wonderful writers. They have an enormous vocabulary, and
their sentences flow beautifully. They sound so smart, for their arguments are
detailed and concise and they know how to get their points across with the
fewest possible words. They have an
arsenal of words at their disposal that they can use at the most opportune
times. Their writings are well thought
out and elegant. They make writing look so easy!
Then there is
me. I stumble and trip as I write. I struggle to find the right words to
express my opinion, which frustrates me to no end, for I love words! I love how
one word can encompass so much. For
example, the word ‘elaborate’: with this one word I can describe something that
is full of detail, and meticulously constructed. One word. Or the word ‘grief’, which
describes such depths of despair and pain, that it seems like the word is not
long enough to describe so much. I love
that about words! That is why word
choices mean so much in my writing.
Then there is
sentence construction. My sentences are choppy and simple. There is nothing elegant about my writing. When
I was in High School in the Netherlands, we were taught English. But what we
weren’t taught was how to use the punctuation in English. So up until four
years ago I was still under the impression that punctuation in both languages
was the same. But it isn’t. This trips me up big time! I still struggle to find
the right places to put the commas, the colon, and the semi-colon. I do not
think this is an area where I will ever feel comfortable.
When I started
my college career, at 47, it was my son who helped me the most. Not only did he
help me with Math, but with English as well.
It was Greg who taught me what topic sentences were, or that the thesis
sentence appears in the first paragraph, not in the last. He also taught me to
be specific, and to watch out for using too many words, when only a few will do.
I will never
be able to write like him, but I am starting to feel comfortable with my own
style. I give my writings a lot of thought, I am honest, direct, and simple. I
think I do get my point across, although not as eloquently as I would like. I
have come a long way in four years, and I hope to continue this journey of growth.
Wow! For someone who says they struggle with writing, this blog amongst many others is beautifully written. In all honesty, I think the best writing is not the writing that uses big words or fanciness. I think that the best writing is honest writing. Sure all writing could sound poetic but at times, that form of writing can be overwhelming, and if it sounds overdone, then it can turn readers away. I think writing is a balance. It all depends on style. For me, there is nothing wrong with simple and honest!
ReplyDelete