In my previous
blog I mentioned that I thought Kevin was smoking weed, and that was a correct
assumption. He ends up arrested and in
prison. This goes to show you that, even
though Kevin was supposed to be smarter than Jimmy, in the end he was making
the wrong choices, and he ends up in prison.
Jimmy, on the other hand, took Duke and Cap’s lessons to heart and
realized the importance of good role models in a young man’s life. In the end of the book he takes on a mentor
role with a new young man in the shop, Ernesto.
We also talked
about the role of God in the life of Jimmy.
This topic came up because of the visit from Sister Smith to Jimmy’s
house. First of all, I wondered why Duke
never discussed God with Jimmy. He did tell Jimmy to go to church, but he never
mentioned God or spirituality and what role they play in life. Does believing
in God automatically make a person make the right decisions, or at least make
it easier to choose the right thing? I
also thought it was interesting that Duke was talking about choices and sex,
and made Jimmy think about the practical things in life, and made it clear that
Jimmy was in charge of his life. Sister Smith on the other hand, is preaching
about God and the Bible and is not making an impact on Jimmy whatsoever.
I did not enjoy
book club. It was a hassle getting everyone together at the same time, and I
did not think everyone was invested in it, which affected the conversations negatively. Doing this book club made me think of collaborative
learning and it made me realize that, in order for a literary circle to be
successful, there must be guidelines to follow.
I felt like we were all lost on what to talk about and how to run a book
club, so maybe a few pointers on these issues would have been helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment