Sunday, November 2, 2014

On Writing and Peer Review


 I finally picked my topic for my paper (Poetry), and the fact that I made the decision was HUGE! I could not believe how the question of what my topic should be was weighing on my mind, so it was a relief when that was done.

The first thing I did was research. I used the articles Dr. McVerry posted on blackboard, and supplemented that with two other sources I found online.  Once I found the sources, I highlighted the quotes I wanted to use and typed them out. Then I organized the quotes according to the paragraphs in which I would use them.

The introduction is usually my favorite part of writing a paper (except for the thesis statement, which causes me a lot of stress!). The introduction verbalizes my thoughts, and it reinforces my point of view.  For some reason it is good to have my point of view in writing.  Now I can relax and stop worrying about forgetting what I was going to say, which happens to me often!

It takes me a few hours to write a first draft of a paper.  My problem with writing an informative paper is that I have to use a more formal voice.  I feel uncomfortable doing that, and prefer to write in the same manner in which I speak.  I feel like I can get my point across better that way.  However, when I compare my process of writing to the first informative paper I had to write two semesters ago, I find that I have much improved.  Another problem I have with writing a formal paper is citing, especially when I use two quotes from the same source and they follow each other closely, only separated by a single sentence. Do I cite it twice, or only once?

I thought it was extremely helpful to have a classmate peer review my paper. Sometimes I know what I want to write, and because I am so familiar with the paper and my own thoughts, I think I am getting my point across. However, when another person reads my paper it is new to them, and she can point out the areas where there is confusion and where more elaboration is needed. This feedback was very important to me.



1 comment:

  1. If it is a direct quote you include the author, title and page number.

    First you need to ask yourself in the quote is necessary. I try to save them for the juciest little knowledge nuggets that an author drops. If it is a pedestrian idea why not just summarize the point. Then you can get away with citing the author only once in a a paragraph.

    I agonize over my introductions. They are so much fun to write.

    ReplyDelete