When I get a writing assignment, I cannot get it out of my
head. I mull over what to write every day. It occupies me when I am driving,
walking, shopping, all the time (I am not kidding!). I do not necessarily
pre-write my ideas, but rather think about ideas. I know I have found the right topic, when I
think about the topic and it feels right.
If an idea does not feel right, I immediately dismiss it. I am a strong
believer in listening to my heart, in all aspects of my life. I could not write something wholeheartedly,
if I feel reticent, for it then becomes a struggle.
For example, we have an assignment for our Children’s
Literature class. We have to pick a genre in children’s literature, research
it, and write a paper on the research, followed by a paper in which we write an
original piece of writing in the style of the genre we picked. I have been struggling
since we were told about the assignment, on which genre to pick. An ABC book would be fun to do, but I feel I
would be taking the easy way out. I also
was thinking of doing a picture book. Which child does not love to listen to a
story and follow along with the pictures? Even as an adult, I enjoy reading
them and listening to them being read.
So what makes me go back to poetry all the time? I am not good at
writings poems at all. If anything, my poems are childish and awkward in
character. I do not like to read adult
poetry. It is all gabberdiegook to me. It intimidates me, and I always find my
intellect lacking for not being able to understand what the poet is trying to
convey. However, I LOVE children’s poetry!
I love the play on words, the humor, the rhythm, the nonsense words, and the
way the words are arranged on the page.
I don’t only love to read poetry to children, but I love to write poetry
with children. I remember one instance,
where we wrote a poem on “Fall”. Each
child would give me one word that described Fall. This resulted in a beautiful descriptive poem
that we hung up in the classroom, and which the children often read. This example is what made me decide to do
pick poetry as my research topic.
I make sure I have my sources printed, read, and
highlighted. Then I do my pre-writing, which for me is more of a ‘free-write’.
During this free-write I do not worry about the quotes, but I concentrate on
what I want to say in my paper. It is a big mumbo-jumbo, sort of a mess. But
when I am finished and I read what I free-wrote, the message of what I want to
say comes out loud and clear. This
free-write gives me focus. It tells me what my angle is, and gives me clarity
on how I want to organize my paper. The thinking part and the free write are
actually my two favorite parts of writing, for I do not need to worry about
topic sentences, the correct punctuation or the dreaded thesis sentence. This
free write is just for me!
Now that I found my topic and did my free write, it is time
to start with the ‘real’ work. I am actually looking forward to writing about
children’s poetry, and I am even more looking forward to writing some poems
myself. I am already thinking about it!
Glad you feel more comfortable getting started.
ReplyDeleteI have a lot of ideas go through my head at the beginning of an assignment too but what i usually do is type it all out, it is basically "word vomit" in a word document but from there I edit and organize and my paper becomes clearer and stronger. Also, I had to look up gabberdiegook..... very interesting word choice lol.